Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Introduction

School starts Tuesday.

I received my high school diploma in 1993. Between 1994 and 2003 I attended five colleges but never earned a degree. I majored in religious studies, physics, education, Hebrew, and emergency medical services, and I took classes in a number of other fields. I have been working full-time since 2004. I had and lost a great job; now I have a job.

In the past I did not particularly want to go to school. I enjoyed the college environment and I liked learning new things, but I never felt passionate about what I was doing and I had no desire to pursue a career in anything I studied. I went to school because it was expected of me and I was told it was the right thing to do. My ambivalence about school led to my repeated changes of majors, my failure to ever finish a degree, and ultimately my decision to stop going to school. But now I think I am finally ready to go to school and finish a degree.

I understand if my past performance does not inspire confidence in my ability to earn a degree. But I think that this time I’ll finally manage to accomplish my goals. Sixth time’s the charm? In the past I started at school, then chose a major. This time I picked the major first, then searched for a school. I will be majoring in apparel design. I have always enjoyed sewing, but I never did much with it before. I would like to become a costume designer, but fashion design looks good too.

I start at Minneapolis Community and Technical College (MCTC) next week, and I’ll transfer to UW-Stout in January. I will only be taking two classes at MCTC: Industrial Sewing Methods and Fashion Sketching Workshop. I do not expect to transfer the credits to Stout. I am taking these two classes to ease myself back into school, to prepare me for the classes I will take at Stout, and to ensure that this is indeed the field I wish to pursue before I make the move to Wisconsin.

This blog will chronicle my time in school as I progress from amateur neophyte sewer to fashion/costume designer and master tailor.

No comments:

Post a Comment